Wednesday, January 23, 2013

So many doctors! 1/23/13

Last night Mike and I went to our high risk doctor. Our appt was for 5:30 pm and we had to sit in the waiting room til almost 7:20 before being seen. It wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have to sit in a packed waiting room with expecting mothers gushing about their pregnancies and oogling over their ultrasound pictures for almost 2 hours. Now let me make this CLEAR. I don't want this to sound like I hate pregnant women. It probably comes off that way, I am just sad to be around them and I am jealous that they still have that life growing inside them. It is the memory of sitting in that waiting room myself with Mike and we were the ones gushing about our pregnancy and oogling our boys pictures.  I am extremely happy for anyone who is expecting a baby, ok? We are all on the same page that I still love pregnant women? Good.

Anyways, we are finally called back and the doctor was surprised to see us. He apologized over and over for us having to sit out there with everyone else. He did make it very clear that next time call ahead and let them know and we will be brought in right away no matter the wait time. Def appreciated that. The reason we went last night is because our OB has recommended that we have every blood panel under the sun done. We are trying to find SOMETHING that may have caused our preterm labor. So, this Saturday I will have 22 tubes of blood taken to rule out any sort of disorder or abnormality. Hoping something minor comes back just so we can say ah-ha! that was it. Now lets fix it for next time.

 If you don't know my high risk doctor he is super friendly, compassionate and animated. His hair kind of reminds me of a mad scientist. Every time we go to him we get our ultrasound done and then he meets individually with everyone either to go over something in the pregnancy or just to see how we are doing. We really like him!

However, last night he made it very clear that emotionally we are not ready to jump right back into trying to conceive. Well, if anyone knows me I am ready. Of course the emotion of what happened is right there and very fresh. Of course I am not looking to replace Cayden and Chase, but my desire to be a mother is huge and I have made this a personal mission. He told me that I am young and still have plenty of time and should wait 6 months to a year to try again. WHOA WHOA WHOA! He better take a seat!  I asked him if he thinks this due to my emotional well being or physical and he said emotional. My ultrasound last night proved that we are almost ready to start trying... that my lining nice and thick only 4 weeks out (for those of you who don't know what that means. You want your lining to be nice and thick. When you fertilize an egg it needs to implant into a nice, thick lining in order to make a baby, capiche?)
Ok, so, he made the analogy of "you have been through war and you got your legs blown off. Lets get you back to walking." I get it doc, I really do. If I was fertile myrtle that may be an option. I informed him that I have never EVER been pregnant on accident or on our own. It has taken three years to get pregnant twice with drugs and IUI. First one ended in miscarriage and then my boys. If you think I am going to start preventing now you are nuts. He doesn't want us to get pregnant and god forbid suffer another loss so soon. Well, suffering a loss in a month, 6 months, a year or 10 years will never get easier. If you told me that my body needs time I understand that. I know plenty of women who have babies 10-12-15 months apart so it's possible.

I asked him about our situation and if we are destined for it to happen again and he (as a high risk doctor) informed us that our situation was so very rare. He even said that I could carry twins again. We don't want multiples because of higher risks, but he said there is no reason why my body couldn't go to term. I asked him if it was because I was carrying twins that I went into preterm labor and he said if that was the case you would have went at 34 weeks instead. So, we still only want to aim for one baby, but I feel better knowing that he thinks that even if we had twins again that I would be able to go to term with more monitoring and extra precautions. He said this was a FREAK thing. Very very rarely does this sort of stuff happen with no explanation. We are the less than 1%.






No comments:

Post a Comment

11 years later and five years since last post!

 Well, it has been a hot minute since I last posted...2018. After I had Mason and Maddox it was hard for me to write. Not only was I super b...